Meaning of NERD
What Does NERD Mean? (Using NERD Online)The term NERD is generally accepted to describe a "clever but socially awkward person". Of note, however, NERD is quickly moving away from a word with a negative connotation (i.e., to brand someone as uncool). Recently, NERD has evolved into a more positive term that simply describes someone with a passion for something (i.e., a science NERD, a music NERD, or a food NERD). It is even starting to take on a cool edge, and increasingly more people are happy to have themselves labelled as a NERD.
Summary of Key Points
Definition for NERDNERD means "Clever but socially awkward person". This is the most common meaning for NERD on social-media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat. Here is some more information about NERD:
|Definition:||Clever but socially awkward person|
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for NERDWhen I write NERD, I mean this:
A NERD is someone who excels in a subject deemed to be uncool.
Examples of NERD in SentencesHere are examples of NERD being used in conversations:
- Person A: Hey, have you been watching the new series about space?
- Person B: No, NERD. I have a social life. (Here, NERD is offered with a negative connotation.)
- Person A: Can you fix my PC please. You're an IT NERD.
- Person B: Of course.
- Person A: You're a star. Thanks. (Here, NERD is offered with a positive connotation.)
An Academic Look at NERDNERD is used as a noun (i.e., a naming word). For example:
- You are the biggest Maths NERD I've ever met. (Here, NERD is being used as a noun.)
What Did We Used To Say?Before the 1950s, when NERD was first introduced into society, we might have said something like "drip" or "square" instead of NERD.
A Text with NERD
Using NERD on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)