Meaning of NIMBY
What Does NIMBY Mean? (Using NIMBY Online)NIMBY means "Not In My Back Yard". The acronym NIMBY refers to a person who agrees with a specific development but does not want that development to impact on their own life. For example:
- John: Fracking will solve our country's energy needs for the next 30 years.
- Simon: I'm glad you're an advocate of fracking because they're planning to establish a fracking plant near your village.
- John: Here? Why here? We don't need all those lorries disturbing the peace.
- Simon: You're such a NIMBY!
Summary of Key Points
Definition for NIMBYNIMBY means "Not In My Back Yard". This is the most common definition for NIMBY on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is some more information about NIMBY:
|Definition:||Not In My Back Yard|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for NIMBYWhen I write NIMBY, I mean this:
A NIMBY is someone who advocates change but not if it impacts on their own life.
Examples of NIMBY in SentencesHere are examples of NIMBY being used in conversations:
- Harry: Isn't it great that they're building 200 new houses in the town?
- Charlie: No, call me a NIMBY if you like, but they will ruin my dog walk.
- Ralph: I know we need a new hospital, but where they're building it will spoil my view.
- Corrine: You're such a NIMBY.
An Academic Look at NIMBYAs it is spoken like a word, NIMBY is an acronym. Acronyms contrast with initialism abbreviations, which are pronounced using their individual letters.
A Text with NIMBY
Using NIMBY on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)