Meaning of SUP
What Does SUP Mean? (Using SUP Online)SUP means "What's Up?". As SUP is pronounced as a word, it is classified as an acronym as opposed to an initialism abbreviation. SUP is a way asking "What is up with you?", which is shortened to "What's up?", which is further shortened to SUP.
Of note, even though it is a question, SUP is sometimes just a way of saying hello. When used in this way, it can be answered with SUP. For example:
- John: SUP?
- Tony: SUP? (Neither John nor Tony expects an answer. It is similar to "Alright?", which is another question that often just means hello.)
- Support. In this meaning, SUP is a contraction of the word support. (NB: It is particularly common in the online game "League of Legends".)
- A Sip. In the North of England, the word SUP can mean a sip. ("Hey, give me a sup of your beer.")
- To Drink. In the North of England, the word SUP can mean to drink. ("Hey, sup up, lad. I've spilt more ale down my waistcoat than you've supped tonight.")
Summary of Key Points
Definition for SUPSUP means "What's Up". This is the most common definition for SUP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is some more information about SUP:
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Image for SUPWhen I write SUP, I mean this:
SUP either means "What's Up?" "Hello".
Examples of SUP in SentencesHere are examples of SUP being used in conversations:
- Ella: SUP, dude.
- Aaron: Hiya, what are you up to?
- Luke: SUP?
- Jason: All good here.
An Academic Look at SUPSUP is an acronym (i.e., an abbreviation spoken like a word). Acronyms differ from initialism abbreviations, which are pronounced using their individual letters. SUP is best described as a contraction of the interrogative sentence ("What is up?"). It commonly stands alone and is not usually followed by a question mark.
What Did We Used To Say?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "hello" or "what's happening?" instead of SUP.
A Text with SUP
Using SUP on a Cell Phone (SMS Texts, Whatsapp, and Yubl)