What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does COS Mean?COS means "Because." The abbreviation COS is a short form of the conjunction "because." It can also be written as COZ.
COS can also refer to:
- Church of Scientology. The Church of Scientology was formed in the US in 1953 by L. Rob Hubbard, whose studies first began in 1923. Tom Cruise and John Travolta are two high-profile celebrities associated with the religion.
- Chief of Staff. A Chief of Staff is an executive (used in the military as well as business) whose role is to coordinate the activities of the other seniors and departments.
Image for COSWhen I write COS, I mean this: COS is short for "Because."
Summary of Key Points"Because" is the most common definition for COS on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of COS in SentencesHere are examples of COS being used in conversations:
- Millie: Why do I have to eat that?
- Ian: COS it's good for you.
- Andrew: Apparently, I snore so loudly that it scares everyone in the car I'm driving.
- Ali: Is that supposed to be funny, COS it's not!
An Academic Look at COSCOS is a shortened version of because and is therefore a contraction. Contractions tend to be formed in one of three ways:
- Using letters from the start of the word (e.g., AMP from amplifier).
- Using letters from the start and end of the word (e.g., Dr from Doctor).
- Using an apostrophe to replace a letter or letters (e.g., can't from cannot).
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have written "because" or possible "'cause" instead of COS.
Example of COS Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?