What Does FTR Mean?FTR means "For The Record." The abbreviation FTR, with the meaning "For The Record," is typically used to indicate that what the speaker is about to say is important and should be remembered.
FTR is often used to indicate that the speaker may not agree with what they are about to say and wishes to distance themselves from it. However, it can also be used to emphasize the speaker's role in something that they wish to take credit for.
Of note: FTR has the same meaning as the abbreviation JFTR ("Just For The Record").
Image for FTR
When I write FTR, I mean this:
FTR usually indicates that the speaker wishes their remarks to be taken note of.
Summary of Key Points"For the Record" is the most common definition for FTR on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||For the Record|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of FTR in SentencesHere are examples of FTR being used in conversations:
- Husband: I read today that women who are overweight die younger.
- Wife: Is that so? Well, FTR, a recent study found that women who are overweight live longer than the men who mention it.
- Junior Manager: I am going to have to speak to Big Mick today about his recent poor results.
- Senior Manager: FTR, before I criticize Big Mick, I like to walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when I do criticize him, I'm a mile away and I have his shoes.
An Academic Look at FTRThe abbreviation FTR is a prepositional phrase (the preposition is for), which is used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause.
FTR is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eff Tee Arr), but as this is harder to say than "For The Record," it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation FTR is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "For The Record" instead of using the abbreviation FTR.
Example of FTR Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoFYR (for your records) JFTR (just for the record) N2S (note to self) RYN (read your note) TNOT (take note of that)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.