What Does G8 Mean?G8 means "Great." It is a shortened version of GR8 (Great). Of note, G8 is almost never used to mean gate (as in a garden gate).
Of interest, the term GR8 (Great) gave rise to the term GR9 (Really great) (i.e., one better than GR8), but this has not yet happened with G9, which means "Good Night."
Image for G8
When I write G8, I mean this:
G8 is a shortened version of GR8.
Summary of Key Points"Great" is the most common definition for G8 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of G8 in SentencesHere are examples of G8 being used in conversations:
- Tony: Good morning! How is my best friend feeling today?
- Jordan: I'm G8 darling.
- Tony: How G8 was Iron Man last night?
- Jordan: It was okay. I preferred Mean Girls.
An Academic Look at G8G8 is typically used as an adjective. As it includes both a letter and number, G8 is not an acronym or an abbreviation but an "internet slang term." Originally, "internet slang terms" were introduced for brevity, but, particularly with the advent of predictive texts, they are now mostly employed for fun.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "great" or "terrific" instead of G8.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of G8 Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.