What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does ILYAM Mean?ILYAM means "I Love You As a Mate." The abbreviation ILYAM can be considered a diplomatic way of making it clear that you have no interest in a romantic relationship. It is sometimes used as a response to the abbreviation ILY and other such declarations of love.
The use of the word "mate" in the abbreviation ILYAM can cause confusion in the USA and amongst non-native English speakers, as the word is officially defined as "the sexual partner of a bird or other animal." However, outside of the USA and particularly in Britain, Australia and New Zealand, mate is slang for "friend." ILYAM is another way of writing the abbreviation ILYAAF (I Love You as a Friend).
Image for ILYAMWhen I write ILYAM, I mean this: "I Love You As A Mate"
Summary of Key Points"I Love You As a Mate" is the most common definition for ILYAM on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||I Love You As a Mate|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of ILYAM in SentencesHere are examples of ILYAM being used in conversations:
- Chris: You are very special to me. There is no-one else I would rather be with.
- Celeste: Thanks Chris. You are very special to me too. ILYAM.
- Wayne: I don't know what I'd do without you. I think I love you.
- Pam: Thanks Wayne. ILYAM too.
An Academic Look at ILYAMILYAM is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Aye Ell Wye Eh Emm), but as this is harder to say than "I Love You As A Mate" it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation ILYAM is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
The abbreviation ILYAM is normally used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement) with the meaning "I Love You As A Mate." ILYAM is not often used as another part of speech within a wider sentence.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "I Love You As A Mate" instead of using the abbreviation ILYAM.
Example of ILYAM Used in a Text
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what ILYAM means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?