What Does LOLZ Mean?LOLZ means "Laugh Out Loud (A Lot)."
The abbreviation LOLZ is used as a plural form of LOL (Laughing Out Loud) to indicate amusement. Although LOLZ may be used to indicate that the sender finds something very funny (i.e., funny enough to deserve more than a simple LOL), just as with almost all the other abbreviations used to indicate laughter, LOLZ is now often used sarcastically.
Image for LOLZ
When I write LOLZ, I mean this:
Watch out! LOLZ is often used sarcastically.
Summary of Key Points"Laugh Out Loud (A Lot)" is the most common definition for LOLZ on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Laugh Out Loud (A Lot)|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Examples of LOLZ in SentencesHere are examples of LOLZ being used in conversations:
- Sharon: How is being at a singles bar different from going to the circus?
- Rob: I can't wait to hear.
- Sharon: At the circus, the clowns don't talk.
- Rob: LOLZ.
(As usual with abbreviations such as LOLZ, it is difficult to tell if Rob is genuinely very amused or is being sarcastic.)
- Chris: I just found out I'm colorblind.
- Lee: Really. Did you never suspect before?
- Chris: No. The diagnosis came completely out of the purple.
- Lee: LOLZ.
(Here, Lee is probably expressing genuine amusement.)
An Academic Look at LOLZAs it is spoken like a word, LOLZ is an acronym. Acronyms contrast with initialism abbreviations, which are pronounced using their individual letters.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "very funny" instead of using an abbreviation such as LOLZ.
The Evolution of "LOL"This video shows the evolution of the term "LOL" and the various laughing emojis: Read more about LOL.
Example of LOLZ Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoALOL (actually laughing out loud) BLOL (big laugh out loud) ELOL (evil laugh out loud) LAWL (laugh at loud) LLOL (literally lol) LOLL (laugh out loud literally)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.