What Does LPG Mean?LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas or Liquid Petroleum Gas) is a flammable mixture of hydrocarbon gases used as fuel in heating appliances, cooking equipment, and vehicles. It is more commonly referred to as propane or butane.
It is increasingly used as an aerosol propellant and a refrigerant, replacing chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) in an effort to reduce damage to the ozone layer. When specifically used as a vehicle fuel it is often referred to as Autogas.
LPG was first produced in 1910 by Dr Walter Snelling, and the first commercial products appeared in 1912. It currently provides about 3% of all energy consumed, and burns relatively cleanly with no soot and very few sulphur emissions.
Image for LPG
When I write LPG, I mean this:
The image shows a cylinder of Propane, a type of LPG.
Summary of Key Points"Liquefied Petroleum Gas" is the most common definition for LPG on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Liquefied Petroleum Gas|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of LPG in SentencesHere is an example of LPG being used in a conversation:
- Charlie: Hey Mark, check this out. I have had my Land Rover converted to run on LPG.
- Jordan: Cool! You must get really good mileage out of a tank of fuel now.
- Charlie: Yep. Not only that, Autogas is really cheap!
An Academic Look at LPGLPG is an initialism abbreviation. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Ell Pee Gee). Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.
Example of LPG Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoGAS (power or petrol) MPG (miles per gallon) FTJ (fuel the jet) GTI (high-performance car with a fuel-injected engine) CFC (chlorofluorocarbon) BENZ (petrol or diesel (short for benzene)) DERV (diesel engine road vehicle) TDI (turbo diesel injection)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.