What Does Read Mean?"Read" means Insult or Criticize.
Especially in the realm of drag culture and the LGBTQ community, the term "read" often refers to the act of cleverly and humorously criticizing or insulting someone, usually in a playful or witty manner. For example:
- "I am busy right now., Can I ignore you some other time?"
- "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."
- "Life's good, you should get one."
Image for Read
When I write Read, I mean this:
"Reading" is usually done in a playful or witty manner.
Summary of Key Points"Insult or Criticize" is the most common definition for Read on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Insult or Criticize|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at Read"Read" is a slang term. Slang is informal language that consists of words, phrases, and uses of language that are often restricted to a specific context or a particular group of users. Slang is not typically used in formal or professional settings.
Example of Read Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoBEAT (exhausted, perfect, ugly) BURN (insulting or humiliating comment, smoke a joint) BURNED (expended, found out, insulted) BURNT (expended, found out, insulted) CHIRP (insult) FLAME (to insult)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.