What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does SBS Mean?SBS means "Sick Building Syndrome," "Special Boat Service," or "Step By Step."
Sick Building SyndromeThe abbreviation SBS is used to refer to a phenomena in which the users or occupants of a building experience symptoms of ill health that seem to be linked directly to the time spent in the building. No specific illness or cause can be identified and the phenomena may be localized to a particular room or area or may be widespread throughout the building.
Special Boat ServiceIn the UK armed forces, the abbreviation SBS is the initials of the "Special Boat Service," the special forces unit of UK's Royal Navy. (The SBS might be considered the UK version of the US Navy Seals.)
Step By StepIn text-based messaging and chats, SBS is also used to mean "Step By Step," (i.e., "in a series of steps or stages"). In this context, SBS is often used to encourage patience in romantic relationships or a meticulous approach in planning, design or construction.
Image for SBSWhen I write SBS, I mean this: SBS also means "Sick Building Syndrome" and "Special Boat Service."
Summary of Key Points
First Definition for SBSSBS means "Sick Building Syndrome." This is a common definition for SBS.
|Definition:||Sick Building Syndrome|
4: Difficult to guess
Second Definition for SBSSBS also means "Special Boat Service." This is another common definition, for SBS, especially in the UK.
|Definition:||Special Boat Service|
4: Difficult to guess
Third Definition for SBSSBS also means "Step By Step." This is the most common definition for SBS on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter.
|Definition:||Step By Step|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of SBS in SentencesHere are examples of SBS being used in conversations:
- Ray: So many people have taken days off work for illness since we moved into the new office.
- Lucy: Sounds like SBS.
- Ray: Don't think so. It's just that the new layout is horrible, because the boss can see you all the time. (Here, SBS means "Sick Building Syndrome.")
- Fergus: Are the British special forces called the SAS?
- Bill: Yes. They also have the SBS, which is the navy guys. (Here, SBS means "Special Boat Service.")
- Rhea: Is he staying the night?
- Lucy: No! Too soon! I am going to take this one SBS. (Here, SBS means "Step By Step.")
An Academic Look at SBSAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e.,"Ess Bee Ess"), SBS is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said "Sick Building Syndrome" or "Step By Step" instead of using SBS.
The use of the abbreviation SBS to refer to the "Special Boat Service" long pre-dates the digital era.
Example of SBS Used in a Text
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what SBS means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?