What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does SHADE Mean?SHADE means "Disrespectful." The term SHADE is typically accompanied with the verb "to throw." Someone that "throws shade" is publicly criticizing or expressing contempt for another person.
Until recently, the word SHADE was mainly used in the gay community and in drag queen culture. However, in recent years it has become much more mainstream.
The first known use of SHADE was in the documentary film "Paris Is Burning" (1990), which is based on the Manhattan drag scene in the 1980s.
Summary of Key Points"Disrespectful" is the most common definition for SHADE on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for SHADEWhen I write SHADE, I mean this:
SHADE indicates contempt.
Examples of SHADE in SentencesHere are examples of SHADE being used in conversations:
- Tony: Did you watch RuPaul's Drag Race last night?
- Jordan: Of course! Did you see the SHADE the contestants were throwing?
- Tony: Girl, you call yourself legendary? More like leg and dairy!
- Jordan: Why are you throwing SHADE?
An Academic Look at SHADESHADE is typically used as a noun (i.e., a naming word). For example:
- Terry was throwing serious SHADE at Lola last night. (Here, SHADE is being used as a noun.)
Example of SHADE Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?