What Does SME Mean?The abbreviation SME means "Subject Matter Expert" and "Small and Medium Enterprise." Here is more information about each of these definitions of SME.
Subject Matter ExpertSME is commonly used in general chat to call someone a "Know-it-all." This meaning of SME comes from its use in a business context, where a "Subject Matter Expert" is a specialist in a specific field.
Small and Medium EnterpriseSME is also used with the meaning "Small and Medium Enterprise" to refer to businesses that meet certain criteria with regards size and other characteristics, as defined (in the US) by the Small Business Administration. SMEs that manufacture goods are also classified as SMM ("Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturers").
Image for SME
When I write SME, I mean this:
SME also means "Small and Medium Enterprise."
Summary of Key Points
First Definition for SME"Subject Matter Expert" is the most common definition for SME on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Subject Matter Expert|
Adults and Teenagers
Second Definition for SMESME also means "Small and Medium Enterprise."
|Definition:||Small and Medium Enterprise|
4: Difficult to guess
Examples of SME in SentencesHere are examples of SME being used in conversations, with the meaning "Subject Matter Expert":
- Lynn: Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking than men spend thinking.
- Tara: Hah, you sound like a SME.
- Chris: Phil goes on and on about baking cakes.
- Dara: That's because he's an SME, now he's seen two seasons of "Bake Off."
- Tony: Use squid strips for bass.
- Mark: When did you become such an SME? You've never caught anything.
An Academic Look at SMEAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ess Emm Ee"), SME is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
SME is used as a noun (i.e., a naming word).
Example of SME Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoBOFFIN (Geek Or Expert) NERD (Clever But Socially Awkward Person) HNG (Horny Net Geek) GEN (Knowledge) ICYDK (In Case You Didn't Know) IKMTY (I Know More Than You) IMK (In My Knowledge) ITK (In The Know) JANOE (I Know) KIA (Know It All) MOTKU (Master Of The Known Universe) NALOPKT (Not A Lot Of People Know That.)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.