What Does STFU Mean?STFU means "Shut The F*ck Up."
STFU is an abbreviation of the slang term "Shut The F*ck Up," which is a very direct and rude way of telling someone to stop talking or to express annoyance. For example:
- Terry: You can't even look him in the eye.
- Lee: Yes I can! STFU!
- Sam: I only told her what you told me.
- Ali: You should learn to STFU!
Video Summarizing STFUHere's a short video explaining how to use the abbreviation STFU:
Image for STFU
When I write STFU, I mean this:
Summary of Key Points"Shut The F*ck Up" is the most common definition for STFU on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Shut The F*ck Up|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at STFUAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ess Tee Eff Yoo"), STFU is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said "Shut The F*ck Up" or something like "Shut your face," instead of using the abbreviation STFU.
Example of STFU Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.