What Does TOTB Mean in a Text?TOTB means "Think Outside The Box." Thinking outside the box is a metaphor which means to think in an original way or find a novel solution to a problem.
The term is popular in business jargon. It originated in the 1970s or '80s, most likely from the 'nine dots' puzzle - a drawing challenge designed to test lateral thinking.
Note: In order to connect all nine dots and complete the puzzle, it is necessary to draw a line which goes beyond the 'box' of dots.
Today, the term is used widely in both business and creative environments.
Image for TOTB
When I write TOTB, I mean this:
The image shows a girl deep in thought.
Summary of Key Points"Think Outside the Box" is the most common definition for TOTB on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Think Outside the Box
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of TOTB in SentencesHere are examples of TOTB being used in conversations:
- Tony: I've got to give a presentation at work tomorrow and they want me to TOTB.
- Jordan: Ditch PowerPoint and do an interpretative dance!
- Tony: I rolled all my clothes and now they fit in my suitcase!
- Jordan: Way to TOTB!
An Academic Look at TOTBAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Tee Oh Tee Bee"), TOTB is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
Example of TOTB Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.