What Does UFG Mean?UFG most commonly means "Up for grabs." UFG describes something that is attainable by anyone who wants to compete, to buy, to win or to own it. (It often refers to objects (often newly available things), but it can refer to people as well).
UFG often suggests a problematical situation. For example, if the leader of a country was suddenly deposed, a political commentator might say the leadership is "up for grabs."
The phrase "up for grabs" was popularized during the mid-1940s as part of the jive talk culture (a form of slang popular in Harlem, USA.)
Although less common, UFG can also stand for "Ugly Fat Girl."
Image for UFG
When I write UFG, I mean this:
UFG means "up for grabs."
Summary of Key Points"Up for Grabs" is the most common definition for UFG on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Up for Grabs|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of UFG in SentencesHere are examples of UFG being used in conversations:
- Tony: The boss walked out today. His job is UFG.
- Jordan: I think you should apply.
- Tony: I wonder who'll win the dance title this year?
- Jordan: It could be anyone. The title is really UFG.
An Academic Look at UFGUFG is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Yu Eff Gee), but as this is harder to say than "Up for grabs," it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation UFG is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
The phrase "up for grabs" is an idiom. An idiom is a group of words that have become established by usage. Another example of an idiom is "over the moon" (meaning happy).
UFG is typically used as an adjective. (The expanded term is an adjective phrase.) For example:
- The trophy is UFG. (Here, UFG is being used as a predicate adjective.)
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "it is available to anyone" instead of UFG.
Second Definition for UFGThis meaning was also noted:
|Definition:||Ugly Fat Girl|
4: Difficult to guess
Example of UFG Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoMBA (married but available) AYOR (at your own risk) PUNK (chancer or low-level gang member WTA (winner takes all) HYS (have your say)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.