What Does VIP Mean?VIP means "Very Important Person." The abbreviation VIP refers to a person who is given special privileges because of their rank or status (e.g., a politician or celebrity).
Of note, in many underground and overground rail networks, the abbreviation VIP is commonly used to mean "Visually Impaired Person." In this sense, it is used to alert staff to a passenger who may need extra assistance.
VIP can sometimes be also be used as an adjective (e.g., "VIP trip" or "VIP treatment").
Image for VIP
When I write VIP, I mean this:
VIP (Very Important Person) denotes someone of higher status.
Summary of Key Points"Very Important Person" is the most common definition for VIP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Very Important Person|
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of VIP in SentencesHere are examples of VIP being used in conversations:
- Carly: I'm going to the Hilton Hotel tonight.
- Dionne: I thought you had to be a VIP to stay there?
- Euan: I'm going to get a red carpet in my hall.
- Jeff: What? Do you think you're some kind of VIP then?
An Academic Look at VIPAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Vee Aye Pee"), VIP is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "a very distinguished person" or "a grandee" instead of VIP.
Example of VIP Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoDIVA (Arrogant Female Celebrity) CTF (Claim To Fame) SVS (Someone Very Special) BNF (Big Name Fan) HIPSTER (Person Who Is Cool (i.e., Hip)) EMCEE (Master Of Ceremonies (a "cool" version of MC))
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.