What Does & Mean?& means "And." The icon & is known as an ampersand. It is widely used in written English and is derived from the Latin word "et," which means "And."
Summary of Key Points"And" is the definition of &, including on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Here is some more information about &:
1: Easy to guess
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Image for &
When I write &, I mean this:
& is shorthand for "And."-->
Examples of & in SentencesHere are examples of & being used in conversations:
- UB40: Baby, come back!
- Pato Banton: With my colour TV & my CD collection of Bob Marley.
- Paul: Is it OK to use & in my letter to the boss?
- Ana: It depends. You generally shouldn't use & except in informal situations. However, sometimes it's OK in things like company names.
An Academic Look at &The ampersand "&" can be considered an iconic abbreviation. It is a visual representation used as an abbreviation of the word "And."
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?The use of the ampersand "&" as an abbreviation of the word "And" predates the digital era by probably at least 2000 years!
Example of & Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoSearch_icons ( Search icons) A_ampersand_E (accident and emergency) A_ampersand_F (always and forever) AAK (alive and kicking) AAT (and another thing) New ways to say I love you Text-speak using just numbers A list of dating terms
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.