What Does :3 Mean?:3 is an emoticon which represents a coy smile.
The emoticon :3 is used in texting and online chat to indicate a coy smile. For example:
- Ali: Would you like to go for a drink with me tonight? :3.
- Lee: I was hoping you would ask. :3.
Image for :3
When I write :3, I mean this:
:3 is an emoticon that represents a coy smile.
Summary of Key Points"Coy Smile" is the most common definition for :3 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at :3:3 is classified as an emoticon. Emoticons are a way to show emotion in text-based communication. They consist of a small group of symbols arranged to show emotions, such as happiness, sadness, anger, and others, using the letters, numbers, and symbols usually found on a standard keyboard in a typographic approximation.
Emoticons have largely been made redundant on most messaging apps, as users now have access to a large number of emojis and most emoticons are automatically replaced with the corresponding emoji.
Happy emoticons are alternatively known as a "smileys" or "smiley faces."
Example of :3 Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoSearch Icons ('_') (bored) <3 (love) <333 (lots of love) I<3U (I love you) (h) or (H) (cool dude, heart emoticon)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.