What Does </3 Mean?</3 means "broken hearted." It is the opposite of <3, which is an emoticon for "love" or "I love you."
<3 represents a heart (on its side). Conversely, </3 represents a heart that has been broken in two, so "broken hearted." It is the text equivalent of the broken heart emoji (💔).
We think </3 is a clever emoticon because / is used to close a tag in HTML (the language used to write web pages). For example, in HTML, <b>hello</b> would bold the word "hello." So, technically, </3 is the end of the <3 tag, which means the end of love. That forward slash could also be taken as a slash through the heart. So, this emoticon works on two levels.
Image for </3
When I write </3, I mean this:
Summary of Key Points"Broken Hearted" is the most common definition for </3 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Example of </3 Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoLearn how to insert special punctuation symbols New ways to say I love you Text-speak using just numbers A list of dating terms
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.