What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does 187 Mean?The number 187 (pronounced "one-eight-seven" or "one eighty-seven") is used as a synonym for the word "Murder." It refers to Section 187 of the California Penal Code, which defines the crime of murder. Because of this connection to homicide, 187 features prominently in gang culture, music, and even mainstream movies. For example:
- Some gang members have the number 187 tattooed on their body, as a boast that they have been involved in murder.
- 187 was the alternative name for "Deep Cover," a single released by rap artist Dr. Dre in 1992. The track features Snoop Dogg and was recorded for the soundtrack of the movie "Deep Cover," starring Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum, about undercover police work in Los Angeles.
- One-Eight-Seven was the title of a 1997 movie, starring Samuel L. Jackson, as a schoolteacher in Los Angeles.
- 187 Strassenbande (German for "187 Streetgang" and also known as "187 Allstars") is a German Hip-Hop collective, joining a number of German rappers, mostly based in Hamburg. In 2015, the band accompanied the group Wu-Tang Clan on their tour of Germany.
Dr. Dre Feat. Snoop Dogg - Deep Cover (WARNING - EXPLICIT LYRICS!)
187 Allstars 2017 (Jambeatz)
Summary of Key Points"Murder" is the most common definition for 187 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
5: Extremely difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for 187When I write 187, I mean this:
Section 187 of the California Penal Code relates to "Murder."
Examples of 187 in SentencesHere are examples of 187 being used in conversations:
- Karl: What are all the blue lights for?
- Tyrone: There's been a 187. A dealer got taken out.
- Dane: Ready for a kicking in Grand Theft Auto later?
- Ricky: I'm going to 187 your ass!
An Academic Look at 187187 is classified as a cyber term (as opposed to an initialism abbreviation or an acronym). Initially, cyber term terms were introduced for brevity, but, particularly with the advent of predictive texting and on-screen keyboards, they are now mostly employed for fun. Cyber terms differ from icons because they are not pictorial representations.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "Murder" instead of using 187.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of 187 Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?