What Does 220 Mean?220 means "Second to None." 220 is commonly used in internet chat forums and text speak to mean "Second to None," which is an idiom meaning "The Best" , "Peerless" or "Unequalled."
Whilst typically used with positive connotations, 220 can also be used negatively. For example:
- They are the greatest band of all time. 220! (Here, 220 is used to emphasise a positive opinion, i.e., they are "The Best.")
- They are the sorriest team in the history of this club. 220! (Here, 220 is used to emphasise a negative opinion, i.e., they are "The Worst.")
Image for 220
When I write 220, I mean this:
Second to None, usually means "The Best."
Summary of Key Points"Second to None" is the most common definition for 220 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Second to None|
|Type:||Internet Slang Term|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of 220 in SentencesHere are examples of 220 being used in conversations:
- Tony: He was the best quarterback of his generation.
- Jordan: 220!
- Tony: He is such a dork!
- Jordan: Dead right. 220!
An Academic Look at 220"Second to None" is an idiom, which is a commonly used expression whose meaning does not relate to the literal meaning of its words.
220 is typically used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement). In other words, it is not used as a part of speech within a wider sentence.
220 is defined as an "internet slang term" by our team because some of its characters are used as substitutes for letters. Most "slang terms" were introduced to reduce the number of key strokes required to write words or phrases, but since the arrival of predictive texting and keyboards on mobile devices, this efficiency is no longer required. Nevertheless, "slang terms" are still regularly used to make messages more entertaining or to express individuality
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said something like "Second to None" or "The Best" instead of using 220.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of 220 Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See Also224 (today, tomorrow, forever) 4221 (4ever 2gether 2love 1another) 420 FRIENDLY (person who smokes cannabis) 22 (a .22 calibre pistol)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.