What Does 4TW Mean in a Text?4TW means "For the Win." The abbreviation 4TW is an "internet slang term" meaning "For The Win." It is normally used in internet chat forums, online gaming and text messages as a way of expressing excitement or enthusiasm.
FTW is typically used at the end of a comment. It is usually meant to express genuine enthusiasm, but can also be used sarcastically.
Of note, 4TW can also be written as FTW.
Image for 4TW
When I write 4TW, I mean this:
4TW is typically used to show genuine enthusiasm.
Summary of Key Points"For the Win" is the most common definition for 4TW on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|For the Win
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of 4TW in SentencesHere are examples of 4TW being used in conversations:
- Gamer A: You destroyed my interceptors!
- Gamer B: Now I'm coming for your home base. 4TW! [In this conversation, 4TW is being used to express genuine enthusiasm and excitement.]
- Tom: Sorry I'm late boss.
- Boss: You've been late every day this week. Tomorrow's Friday, can you come in late then too? 4TW?. [In this conversation, 4TW is being used sarcastically.]
An Academic Look at 4TW4TW is classified by our team as an "internet slang term" as opposed to an initialism abbreviation or an acronym. Initially, "internet slang terms" were introduced for brevity, but, particularly with the advent of predictive texting and on-screen keyboards, they are now mostly employed for fun. "Slang terms" differ from icons because they are not pictorial representations.
4TW is an interjection. An interjection is not grammatically related to any other part of the sentence. It is included in a sentence to express a sentiment such as surprise, disgust, joy, excitement, or enthusiasm.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "For The Win" instead of using the abbreviation 4TW.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of 4TW Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoFTK (For the Kill) FTL (For the Loss) FTV (For the Victory) 4U (For You) New ways to say I love you Text-speak using just numbers A list of dating terms
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.