What Does FTW Mean?The abbreviation FTW is widely used with the meaning "For the Win." It is also sometimes used to mean "F*ck the World." Here is more information about each of these definitions of FTW.
For The WinFTW It is typically used with the meaning "For The Win" as an expression of excitement, to add emphasis to the end of a comment or message.
The phrase "For The Win" is thought to have originated on the television game show Hollywood Squares. On the show, contestants would choose their final winning move by saying something like "I'll take David Hasselhoff for the win!".
In gaming, FTW is often used when a player is about to achieve or has achieved some sort of success, such as winning a game, killing or wounding an opponent, or completing a complex task. For example:
- Sam: You got me in the back! That's not fair!
- Ali: All's fair in love, war, and gaming! FTW!
The term "For the Win" comes from the game show Hollywood Squares.
F*ck the WorldWhen used to mean "F*ck the World," FTW is typically used as an expression of disenchantment with life in general or with a particular situation. For example:
- Lee: Why such a long face?
- Ali: In the space of a week, I've been dumped, sacked, and evicted from my apartment. FTW!
- Toni: Steph is sick with Covid. You have to work on Saturday.
- Jed: But, I have tickets for the game! FTW!
- Ash: The whole world knows that the risks of Covid are far worse than the risks of the vaccine.
- Jed: FTW! Covid is a conspiracy led by Bill gates and Warren Buffet!
Video Summarizing FTWHere's a short video explaining how to use FTW:
Image for FTW
When I write FTW, I mean this:
FTW also means "F*ck the World."
Summary of Key Points
First Definition of FTW"For the Win" is the most common definition for FTW in gaming related communications on apps such as Discord, TeamSpeak and Telegram, as well as on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
|Definition:||For the Win|
Adults and Teenagers
Second Definition of FTW"F*ck the World" is another definition of FTW.
|Definition:||F*ck the World|
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at FTWAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Eff Tee DoubleYoo"), FTW is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
Example of FTW Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.