What Does 86 Mean?86 usually means "to get rid of or delete something," but it can also mean "you made a fortune." Read on to find out why and to avoid making an embarrassing mistake!
To Get Rid of or Delete Something
Prohibition Era Origins? Usually in text messaging, the number 86 is used as a code to mean "to get rid of or delete something." It is thought to have derived from a speakeasy (an illegal drinking den during the time of prohibition) called Chumley's located at 86, Bedford Street, New York City. Chumley's had an adjoining courtyard, which provided customers with privacy when arriving or leaving the building. At that time, it was not unusual for the police to be on the payroll of a bar, and they would forewarn the bar owners of imminent police raids. On receiving such a warning, the bartender of Chumley's would issue the command "86 everybody!" and customers would leave via the 86 Bedford Street entrance to avoid the police, who (by prior arrangement) would arrive through the adjoining courtyard door.
- "86 the vegan sausages." (We have run out of vegan sausages, cross them off the menu.)
- "86 Ali and go out with Jo for the night."
- "We should 86 Sam and Lee. They are the weak links."
Image for 86
When I write 86, I probably mean this:
The most popular definition of 86 is "to get rid of or delete something."
You Made a Fortune
The number 86 is also used as a form of internet slang or shorthand in text messages and online chats in Chinese-speaking communities. When it is read aloud in Chinese, it sounds similar to the words 你发了, which translate as "You made a fortune." Chinese chat codes such as the number 86 have become highly popular, not only in countries where Chinese characters are used, but also in countries with different alphabets. For example:
- Terri: "I won $10,000 on the scratch card!"
- Jordan: "Congratulations! 86!
Image for 86
When I write 86, I could also mean this:
When the number 86 is read aloud in Chinese, it sounds like the words 你发了.
Summary of Key Points for First Definition"TTo Get Rid of or Delete Something" is the most common definition for 86 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||To Get Rid of or Delete Something|
5: Extremely difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Summary of Key Points for Second DefinitionThe Chinese phrase 你发了, which translates as "You made a fortune," is another definition for 86.
|Definition:||你发了 (You made a fortune)|
1: Easy to guess (if you understand Chinese, else virtually impossible)
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at 8686 is a numeronym, which is an abbreviation made up of just numbers or of letters and numbers.
Numeronyms can be formed in various ways, such as:
- Shortening a word by replacing a sequence of letters with the count of those letters (e.g., i18n for "internationalization" and a11y for "accessibility").
- Combining letters and numbers (e.g, K9 for "canine" and W3 for "World Wide Web").
- Using numbers to represent letters or words (e.g., 143 for "I love you," 637 for "always and forever," and 5201314 for "I will love you for a lifetime").
86 is typically used as a verb (i.e. a doing word). For example:
- She 86ed her boyfriend. (Here, 86 is being used as a verb.)
- 86 the pork. (Here, 86 is a verb in the imperative mood.)
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of 86 Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoNumber Codes Search numbers DUNZO (finished) FIN (finished) KDOT (okay, full stop (i.e., the end)) GGOH (gotta get outta here) GOOH (get out of here) GOOML (get out of my life)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.