CUSHIONING (Dating Term)
What Does Cushioning Mean?Cushioning means "Maintaining Alternative Romantic Relationships."
The word cushioning actually refers to "protective or insulating material, designed to reduce impact or improve comfort." In dating, cushioning refers to the practice of maintaining other relationships while dating someone. Cushioning is done to provide a "fallback" should the main relationship fail. For example:
- Lee: Dan is always texting me, even though he's dating Ann now.
- Sal: Block him. He's cushioning with you, in case things don't work out with Ann.
- Jo: Are you cushioning with Lee, in case things don't work out with Ann?
- Dan: And with Sal. You have to be prepared!
Check out our comprehensive list of dating terms.
Image for Cushioning
When I write Cushioning, I mean this:
"Maintaining Alternative Romantic Relationships"
Summary of Key Points"Maintaining Alternative Romantic Relationships" is the most common definition for cushioning on online dating sites, such as Craigslist, Tinder, Zoosk, and Match.com, as well as in texts and on chat forums. Here's more:
|Definition:||Maintaining Alternative Romantic Relationships|
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at CushioningWhen used as a dating term, cushioning is a slang word. Slang refers to words, phrases and uses of language that are regarded as very informal and which are often restricted to a special context or a particular group of users.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "keeping your options open" instead of saying cushioning.
Example of Cushioning Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoNew Ways to Say I Love You ALT (alternative) AU (alternate universe) CUSH (good or cool) CUSHTI (comfortable, excellent) CUSHTY (comfortable, excellent)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.