What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does H8R Mean?H8R means "Hater." H8R is a term to describe a person who is overly negative towards, or critical of, something. Often, a H8R has a biased dislike towards something due to envy or because it's too mainstream.
H8R uses the number 8 to replace the "ATE" sound. Therefore:
- "H" + "8" + R = Hater
- H9 (To really hate, i.e., a stronger sentiment than H8)
- M9 (Best mate, i.e., better than M8)
- GR9 (Really great, i.e., better than GR8)
Image for H8RWhen I write H8R, I mean this: A hater likes to voice their opinions and be a devil's advocate.
Summary of Key Points"Hater" is the most common definition for H8R on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of H8R in SentencesHere are examples of H8R being used in conversations:
- Tony: I wish you'd stop wearing those skinny jeans. I have the same pair and they look better on you.
- Jordan: Oh, don't be such a H8R, Karen.
- Tony: You shouldn't be dating so many guys, Gretchen.
- Jordan: What do you know? You're just a man H8R.
An Academic Look at H8RH8R is most commonly used as a noun (from the verb "to hate").
Of note, H8R is not an abbreviation or an acronym but is classified as a cyber term as it employs both letters and numbers. Initially, cyber term terms were introduced for brevity, but, particularly with the advent of predictive texting and on-screen keyboards, they are now mostly employed for fun. Cyber terms differ from icons because they are not pictorial representations.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of H8R Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?