What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does IBYP Mean?IBYP means "I Beg Your Pardon." The abbreviation IBYP is used in text-based communications such as instant messaging and chat rooms to mean "I Beg Your Pardon," as in "excuse me" or "I'm sorry."
IBYP is typically used when the sender wishes to clarify something that has been said, either because they have not understood the statement or because they disagree with it. For example:
- Parent 1: My daughter is the best student in her grade.
- Parent 2: IBYP! My daughter got the best grades in the whole school this year. (In this case, the sender is contradicting the original statement.)
Image for IBYPWhen I write IBYP, I mean this: IBYP often indicates disagreement.
Summary of Key Points"I Beg Your Pardon" is the most common definition for IBYP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||I Beg Your Pardon|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of IBYP in SentencesHere are examples of IBYP being used in conversations:
- Tom: I was reading that a recent study has shown that women who are overweight die younger.
- Jane: IBYP! It's well known that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.
- Heather: You're so lazy! You never do anything around here.
- Mike: IBYP! I'm great at multitasking. I can procrastinate, be unproductive, and waste time all at once.
An Academic Look at IBYPIBYP is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eye Bee Why Pee). However, the abbreviation IBYP is typically used for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech; therefore, it is not usually said using its letters.
Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said something like "pardon me" or "sorry" instead of using the abbreviation IBYP.
Example of IBYP Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?