What Does LAWD Mean?LAWD means "Lord."
The word LAWD is an alternative spelling of the word "Lord." It is often typed or written in phrases such as "Oh my Lawd," "Dear Lawd," and "Lawd be praised."
This misspelling of the word "Lord" possibly originated as a (not very effective) way for some Christians to avoid taking the Lord's name in vain (as required by their faith). It may also be based on the pronunciation of the word "Lord" in the accent of certain southern states of the US.
Image for LAWD
When I write LAWD, I mean this:
LAWD is an alternative spelling of "Lord."
Summary of Key Points"Lord" is the most common definition for LAWD on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of LAWD in SentencesHere are examples of LAWD being used in conversations:
- Gail: Are you going to Jo's party on Friday?
- Helen: LAWD no! I wouldn't be seen dead with her.
- Reese: Are you still seeing Terri.
- Dee: LAWD knows! I have no idea what's going on in that dude's mind.
An Academic Look at LAWDLAWD is an alternative spelling of the word "Lord." It is typically used as an interjection. Interjections are words used to express feeling or emotion. They can be standalone or used as part of a sentence (usually at the start). An interjection can end in an exclamation mark to express a strong feeling or emotion.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?The use of LAWD as an alternative spelling of "Lord" long pre-dates the digital era.
Example of LAWD Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoLHM (lord, have mercy) LHM (lord, help me) ODL (oh dear lord) OML (oh my lord) PTL (praise the lord) TTL (thank the lord) TYLJ (thank you lord Jesus)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.