What Does ODL Mean?ODL means "Oh Dear Lord." ODL is often used to express despair when all is not well, but it can also be used to express astonishment (much like much like OMG (Oh, my God) and OMD (Oh, my days)).
Image for ODL
When I write ODL, I mean this:
ODL means "Oh, dear Lord."
Summary of Key Points"Oh Dear Lord" is the most common definition for ODL on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Oh Dear Lord|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of ODL in SentencesHere are examples of ODL being used in conversations:
- Tony: The cost of petrol has gone up again.
- Jordan: What! That's six times in the last week, ODL.
- Tony: ODL, I'm locked out the house.
- Jordan: Luckily, I have your spare keys with me.
An Academic Look at ODLODL is an interjection. An interjection is not grammatically related to any other part of the sentence. It is included in a sentence (usually at the start) to express a sentiment such as surprise, disgust, joy, excitement, or enthusiasm.
Of note, ODL is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Oh Dee Ell), but as this is harder to say than "Oh Dear Lord," it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation ODL is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "Oh, whatever next" instead of ODL.
Example of ODL Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoODG (oh dear God) ONNA (oh no, not again) ONNTA (oh no, not this again) ONOZ (oh no!) ONUD (oh no you didn't!) DBA (don't bother asking) DEB (don't even bother) BOF (whatever)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.