What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does NIMBY Mean?NIMBY means "Not In My Back Yard." The acronym NIMBY refers to a person who agrees with a specific development but does not want that development to impact on their own life. For example:
- John: Fracking will solve our country's energy needs for the next 30 years.
- Simon: I'm glad you're an advocate of fracking because they're planning to establish a fracking plant near your village.
- John: Here? Why here? We don't need all those lorries disturbing the peace.
- Simon: You're such a NIMBY!
Summary of Key Points"Not In My Back Yard" is the most common definition for NIMBY on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Not In My Back Yard|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Image for NIMBYWhen I write NIMBY, I mean this:
A NIMBY is someone who advocates change but not if it impacts on their own life.
Examples of NIMBY in SentencesHere are examples of NIMBY being used in conversations:
- Harry: Isn't it great that they're building 200 new houses in the town?
- Charlie: No, call me a NIMBY if you like, but they will ruin my dog walk.
- Ralph: I know we need a new hospital, but where they're building it will spoil my view.
- Corrine: You're such a NIMBY.
An Academic Look at NIMBYAs it is spoken like a word, NIMBY is an acronym. Acronyms contrast with initialism abbreviations, which are pronounced using their individual letters.
Example of NIMBY Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?