What Does SIAP Mean?SIAP means "Sorry If Already Posted."
The abbreviation SIAP is used with the meaning "Sorry If Already Posted" to apologize in advance for a post on social media which may have already been published by another user. SIAP is an acknowledgement that the post may have been published previously and acts an attempt to prevent readers pointing that out.
The use of SIAP can be quite contentious, as it is often used as an excuse for laziness (i.e., the user couldn't be bothered to check if the post had appeared before), or to keep a controversial meme running (e.g., SIAP is often used to keep racist propaganda in newsfeeds many years after they first appeared). Also, on many expert forums, the re-posting of memes or questions is often not acceptable and such infringements of the rules will not be forgiven just because the poster used SIAP.
Image for SIAP
When I write SIAP, I mean this:
SIAP often means "I couldn't be bothered to check."
Summary of Key Points"Sorry If Already Posted" is the most common definition for SIAP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Sorry If Already Posted|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of SIAP in SentencesHere are examples of SIAP being used in conversations:
- User 1: SIAP, but can someone please tell me how to backup this data on a Galaxy S8?
- User 2: Read the thread.
- Amy: Cute dog alert! (SIAP.)
- Grace: Have you been hibernating? That meme has been around for months.
An Academic Look at SIAPAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ess Eye Aye Pee"), SIAP is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we wouldn't have needed to use the abbreviation SIAP with the meaning "Sorry If Already Posted."
Example of SIAP Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoABP (Already Been Posted) ABD (Already Been Done) SOZ (Sorry) T4P (Thanks For Posting) RWP (Random Wall Post)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.