What Does SYL Mean?SYL means "See You Later." The use of the abbreviation SYL can be taken literally to mean that the sender will be meeting the recipient face-to-face sometime during the same day. However, it is just as often used to indicate that they will be in touch again soon, either by telephone, email or text message.
The abbreviation SYL is often used at the end of a conversation, whether or not the sender expects to meet with or even contact the recipient again soon.
There are many other abbreviations used to represent the phrase "See You Later," including:
Image for SYL
When I write SYL, I mean this:
SYL is a casual way of saying "Goodbye."
Summary of Key Points"See You Later" is the most common definition for SYL on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||See You Later|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of SYL in SentencesHere are examples of SYL being used in conversations:
- Pat: I'm going to netball now.
- Chris: Okay. SYL.
- Poppy: You're dumped.
- Myles: Your loss. SYL. (Here, SYL is being used sarcastically.)
An Academic Look at SYLSYL is typically used as a declarative sentence (i.e., a statement). It acts as a salutation at at the end of a conversation.
As it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Ess Why Ell"), SYL is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said "See You Later" instead of using the abbreviation SYL.
Example of SYL Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.