What Does S^ Mean?S^ means "What's Up?". The "internet slang term" S^ is pronounced as a word, based on the sibilant sound (i.e., hissing noise) of the letter 'S' and the upward pointing symbol.
S^ is a way of asking "What's Up?" (i.e., "What's happening?" or "How are things with you?"). The phrase "What's Up?" is widely used as a greeting and gave rise to the messaging app WhatsApp.
"What's Up?" is the title of a song by American rock group 4 Non Blondes. It was released as a single in 1993, and was a hit in the US and across Europe.
Image for S^
When I write S^, I mean this:
S^ can be used to say hello or to ask "What's Up?"
Summary of Key Points"What's Up?" is the most common definition for S^ on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of S^ in SentencesHere are examples of S^ being used in conversations:
- Chris: S^?
- Gus: S^ man?
- Ethan: You're very quiet. S^?
- Sam: Nothing, man. All good. S^ with you?
An Academic Look at S^S^ is defined as an "internet slang term" by our team because some of its characters are used as substitutes for letters. Most "slang terms" were introduced to reduce the number of key strokes required to write the word, but since the arrival of predictive texting and keyboards on mobile devices, this efficiency is no longer required.
S^ is a contraction of the interrogative sentence "What Is Up?". It commonly stands alone and is not usually followed by a question mark.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "What's wrong?", "What's happening?" or "Hello" instead of using S^.
Example of S^ Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.