What Does XX Mean in a Text?
XX means "two kisses." Just like the letter X is used at the end of messages to represent a kiss, XX is used to signify two kisses. It can be typed in either uppercase (XX) or lowercase (xx) without significantly altering its meaning. However, uppercase may sometimes be used to provide emphasis (i.e., to signify a big kiss).
- Lee: Why did you send Sam XX at the end of your message?
- Ali: I was just being friendly.
- Lee: That's what one X is for!
- Sam: Ali sent me two XXs at the end of the last message!
- Cal: You know that Ali and Lee are a couple, right? Ali was just being friendly.
- Sam: Maybe... so why not just one X?
|Number of Xs
|(1) If the message is business-like and not among friends, then no X is appropriate.
(2) If the sender normally sends an X, then the recipient may be annoyed.
(3) If messaging is back and forth, then Xs are often dropped until the last message.
|A friendly tone or a light kiss. If a kiss seems inappropriate, then the X probably just signifies a friendly tone. This unclear distinction does allow a single X to be used for flirting, as it provides the sender with plausible deniability. ("I was just being friendly.")
|With XX, the sender's intent was to send kisses. What those kisses mean is still open to interpretation!
|Three or more Xs
|If you've been sent three or more Xs, they are almost definitely meant as a sign of affection.
What about XXXX?XXXX is even more complicated than X, XX or XXX. Here is a short video explaining its six different meanings!
Image for XX
When I write XX, I mean this:
XX = two kisses
Summary of Key Points"Kisses" is the most common definition for XX on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at XXXX represents multiple kisses, but how did X come to represent one kiss? Well, one theory is that back in the Middle Ages, a lot of people were illiterate and could only manage to write an X, which also represented the Christian cross. As a result, many people signed letters and sealed envelopes with an X, which they then kissed as a sign of faith and honesty.
It is also believed that an X represents the symbol for Christ, deriving from ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ (the Greek word for Christ).
If the X represents a cross, it would be classified as a symbol, rather than a letter. However, if it represents the name of Jesus Christ, it would be a letter, in which case it would be an initialism abbreviation.
Example of XX Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoSearch all terms starting with the letter X New ways to say I love you Text-speak using just numbers A list of dating terms Using the Greek-letter symbols Using the punctuation symbols
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.