What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does XX Mean?XX means "two kisses."
Just like the letter X is used at the end of messages to represent a kiss, XX is used to signify two kisses. It can be typed in either uppercase (XX) or lowercase (xx) without significantly altering its meaning. However, uppercase may sometimes be used to provide emphasis (i.e., to signify a big kiss).
You should not necessarily consider XX as a sign of strong affection. Here is a table showing the possible meanings of Xs at the end of a message:
|Number of Xs||Meaning|
|No X||(1) If the sender normally sends an X, then the sender may be annoyed.|
(2) If the message is business-like and not among friends, then no X is appropriate.
(3) If messaging is back and forth, then Xs are often dropped until the last message.
|One X||(1) A light kiss.|
(2) If a kiss seems inappropriate, then the X probably just signifies a friendly tone. This unclear distinction does allow a single X to be used for flirting, as it provides the sender with plausible deniability. ("I was just being friendly.")
|Two Xs||With XX, the sender's intent was to send kisses.|
|Three or more Xs||If you've been sent three or more Xs, they are definitely affectionate kisses. (See also XXXX.)|
What about XXXX?Here is a short video explaining the six different meanings of XXXX:
Image for XXWhen I write XX, I mean this: XX = two kisses
Summary of Key Points"Kisses" is the most common definition for XX on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of XX in SentencesHere are examples of XX being used in conversations:
- Anne: Why did you send Jenny XX at the end of your text?
- Toby: I was just being friendly!
- Anne: No, that's what one X is for!
An Academic Look at XXBack in the Middle Ages, a lot of people were illiterate and could only manage to write an X, which also represented the Christian cross. As a result, many people signed letters and sealed envelopes with an X, which they then kissed as a sign of faith and honesty.
It is also believed that an X represents the symbol for Christ, deriving from ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ (the Greek word for Christ).
If the X represents a cross, it would be classified as a symbol, rather than a letter. However, if it represents the name of Jesus Christ, it would be a letter, in which case it would be an initialism abbreviation.
Example of XX Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?