What Does ;P Mean?;P means "Winking and Sticking Tongue Out." This icon is often used at the end of a cheeky or playful message (or as a cheeky or playful response to a message). The two characters represent a face: the semicolon represents the eyes (with one winking) while the "P" represents a tongue sticking out of a mouth.
The icon also exists with a colon instead of a semicolon (i.e., the eye is not winking):
Similar icons include:
- ;) (wink)
- ;O (joking)
- (: (happy)
- :) (happy)
- :& (tongue tied)
- :( (sad)
- :(|) (monkey)
- :* (kiss)
- :@ (angry)
Image for ;P
When I write ;P, I mean this:
eyes with a wink (;) and a mouth with protruding tongue (P)
Summary of Key Points"Winking and Sticking Tongue out" is the most common definition for ;P on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Winking and Sticking Tongue out|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of ;P in SentencesHere are examples of ;P being used in conversations:
- Toby: Wait! Come back! You forgot your bullsh*t! ;P
- Mark: I'm jealous of all the people that haven't met you.
- Pat: It was called a jumpoline before your mom jumped on it.
- Adam: Are your parents cousins? ;P
An Academic Look at ;PAs it's a graphical representation, :P is classified as an icon.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "up yours, Noddy" or "screw you" (in a playful tone) instead of ;P.
Example of ;P Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.