What Does :P Mean?:P means "Sticking Tongue Out." This icon is typically used when the writer is being cheeky or playful. When typed, the colon represents the eyes, and the "P" represents a mouth with a protruding tongue.
The icon is also commonly seen with a nose or with a winking eye:
- :'( (crying)
- /: (flirting)
- :$ (embarrassed)
- :& (tongue tied)
- :* (kiss)
- :@ (angry)
- :| (disapproval or not funny)
- :< (frowning)
- :> (mischievous smile)
- :0 (surprised)
Image for :P
When I write :P, I mean this:
eyes (:) and a mouth and tongue (P)
Summary of Key Points"Sticking Tongue Out" is the most common definition for :P on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Sticking Tongue Out|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of :P in SentencesHere are examples of :P being used in conversations:
- Janet: You beat me in the English test!
- Simon: :P.
- Kurt Vonnegut: If your brains were dynamite, there wouldn't be enough to blow your hat off.
- Jill: I don't wear a hat :P.
An Academic Look at :PAs it is a pictorial representation, :P is classified as an icon.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "up yours" (in a playful tone) instead of :P.
Example of :P Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See Also:| (not funny) ;P (winking and sticking tongue out) :'( (crying) /: (flirting) :$ (embarrassed) :& (tongue tied) :0 (surprised)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.