What Does 360 Mean?360 means "All Around," "Full Circle," "Miss You," and "Xbox 360." Some of these definitions are easier to guess than others. One of them is impossible to guess (unless you're Chinese)! Read on to find out more.
All Around / Full Circle
In chat or online communication, "360" is often used as an abbreviation for "360 degrees," which is a full circle. In this context, it often means "all around," as in "completely" or "thoroughly." This usage derives from the idea that a full circle covers all directions or perspectives. So, if someone says something is "360," they may mean that it encompasses or includes everything, leaving no aspect unaddressed. It's a way of expressing completeness or thoroughness.
- Donald, we are going to carry out a 360 review of your appearance and skin-care routine, in order to establish exactly why you are so orange.
- I used to think that life was all about perception and perspective. Then I did a complete 360 and realized that it's really just the way you look at it.
This one is a toughie for non-Chinese speakers! When the number 360 is read out loud in Chinese, it sounds similar to the Chinese words 想念你, which translate as "miss you" in English. Chinese chat codes such as the number 360 have become highly popular, not only in countries where Chinese characters are used, but also in countries with different alphabets.
The Xbox 360, released in 2005 by Microsoft, revolutionized gaming with its enhanced graphics and online multiplayer capabilities. It boasted a vast game library, including iconic titles like "Halo" and "Gears of War." The console's success cemented its place in gaming history and contributed to the evolution of gaming culture.
Image for 360
When I write 360, I mean this:
Some of the definitions of 360 are easier to guess than others.
Summary of Key Points for the First Definition"All around" or "full circle" is the most common definition for 360 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||All Around / Full Circle|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Summary of Key Points for the Second DefinitionThe phrase 想念你, which translates as "miss you" is the most popular definition for 360 in Chinese texting codes.
|Type:||Numeronym (Chinese Text Code)|
5: Extremely difficult to guess (Unless you are Chinese)
Adults and Teenagers
Summary of Key Points for the Third Definition"Xbox 360" is a common definition for 360 in gaming-related chat.
2: Quite easy to guess
Teenagers and Under 13s
An Academic Look at 360360 is both a numeronym and a contraction.
Numeronym. When used with the meanings "All Around," "Full Circle," or "Miss You," 360 is a numeronym, which is an abbreviation made up of just numbers or of letters and numbers.
Numeronyms can be formed in various ways, such as:
- Shortening a word by replacing a sequence of letters with the count of those letters (e.g., i18n for "internationalization" and a11y for "accessibility").
- Combining letters and numbers (e.g, K9 for "canine" and W3 for "World Wide Web").
- Using numbers to represent letters or words (e.g., 143 for "I love you," 637 for "always and forever," and 5201314 for "I will love you for a lifetime").
Contraction. When used to refer to the gaming console, 360 can be considered a contraction of the name "Xbox 360." Contractions can be formed in a number of ways, including:
- Omitting letters from the word (e.g., pct (percent), obv (obviously)).
- Using letters from the start and end of the word (e.g., adds, Dr (Doctor)).
- Using an apostrophe to replace a letter or letters (e.g., don't (do not), can't (cannot)).
Example of 360 Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoNumber Codes Search numbers Using Numbers to Say Words TOTES (totally) TQA (the quick answer, total quality assurance) TTLY (totally) 358 (you miss me) IMU (I miss you) IMYM (I miss you more) WII (nintendo game console)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.