What Does Capish Mean?Capish means "Do You Understand?".
"Capish" is an Anglicized version of the Italian word "capisci." It is used to mean "Do you understand?" and is typically used to make sure that the listener comprehends what the speaker is saying. For example:
- Italian words are easy to say, but can be very difficult to spell. Capish?
- You've got until five o'clock to come up with the goods, capish? If not, I'm canceling my Amazon account.
Alterative spellings of "capish" include, "capeesh," "capiche," "capisce," "capische," and "kapeesh."
Image for Capish
When I write Capish, I mean this:
"Do You Understand?"
Summary of Key Points"Do You Understand?" is the most common definition for Capish on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Do You Understand?|
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at Capish"Capish" comes from the Italian verb "capire," meaning "to understand," which is conjugated in the second-person singular present tense as "capisci." It was picked up as a slang English word during the 1940s and gained further popularity due to depictions of Italian Americans and the American Mafia in film and on TV.
"Capish" is a slang term. Slang is informal language that consists of words, phrases, and uses of language that are often restricted to a specific context or a particular group of users. Slang is not typically used in formal or professional settings.
Example of Capish Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoCACHAI (do you understand? (from Spanish) (sometimes written cachay)) CLICK (to understand) COPY THAT (I heard and understood the message, video game) DIG (to understand) GOTCHA (I understand (from "i've got you")) GROK (fully understand) IDU (I don't understand) UNDERSTOOD THE ASSIGNMENT (excelled at something) YDU (you don't understand)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.