What Does FINSTA Mean in a Text?FINSTA means "Fake Instagram." FINSTA means "Fake Instagram." A FINSTA is a combination of the words fake and Insta (short for Instagram). It is a second Instagram account with different content to a real Instagram account (RINSTA).
Whereas a user's real Instagram might have several hundred or thousand followers, a FINSTA likely has a much smaller following, consisting mostly of friends and family. A user with a FINSTA will post pictures they only want their closest friends seeing instead of their regular Instagram followers. On Instagram, there's a lot of pressure to have followers and engagement, users (usually young people) will have a fake account because they aren't supposed to be taken seriously and it doesn't matter how many posts or followers you have. Because followers don't matter. FINSTAs are mainly kept private, and a user's real name isn't obvious from the account name.
Instagram started in 2010, and by 2015 this distinction between "real Instagram" and "fake Instagram" was already being observed. The images on a FINSTA are those that users don't want associated with their own name or public account, often to hide activity from parents, partners, or schools. It can also provide them anonymity from struggles with mental health or sexuality.
Image for FINSTA
When I write FINSTA, I mean this:
[Finstas can also act as a safe space for teenagers to share how they're really feeling with a select group of followers.]
Summary of Key Points"Fake Instagram" is the most common definition for FINSTA on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Examples of FINSTA in SentencesHere are examples of FINSTA being used in conversations:
- Michael: Did you mean to post our selfie to your real Instagram?
- Alice: No! I was supposed to upload to my FINSTA.
- Chloe: Can I follow your FINSTA?
- Lauren: No, sorry. I only allow my family to follow me. You can follow my real Instagram.
An Academic Look at FINSTAAs it is formed by merging two words into one, FINSTA is classified as a portmanteau word. It is formed by amalgamating fake and Instagram.
Example of FINSTA Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoNew ways to say I love you Text-speak using just numbers RINSTA (real instragram) SOCIAL-MEDIA INFLUENCER (popular social media personality capable of influencing followers) PEACOCKING (dressing up for social media photos) SHADOWBAN (partial block)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.