What Does Flex Mean?Flex means "To Show Off."
"Flex" is used as a slang word to refer to those times when someone shows off their wealth, possessions, or achievements, just to let everyone know how awesome they are. People love to "flex" on social media, because nothing says "I'm cool" like rubbing your success in everyone's face.
"Flex" can be used as a noun or a verb. As a noun, it refers to an instance of showing off or a display of something impressive. As a verb, it means to engage in the act of showing off or flaunting something. For example:
- Did you see Sally's post about her massive avocado toast breakfast? That's one serious avocado flex - I didn't even know they made avocados that big!
- When Jo brought those homemade, gluten-free, gourmet cupcakes to the potluck, he didn't just bring dessert - he flexed his baking skills so hard, even the oven felt inadequate."
- At the party, Jeff told everyone he could recite the entire periodic table backwards. Talk about a weird flex, but okay.
Image for Flex
When I write flex, I mean this:
If you've got it, flaunt it!
Summary of Key Points"To Show Off" is the most common definition for Flex on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||To Show Off|
|Type:||Slang Word (Jargon)|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at FlexFlex is a slang term. Slang is informal language that consists of words, phrases, and uses of language that are often restricted to a specific context or a particular group of users. Slang is not typically used in formal or professional settings.
Example of Flex Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoFLOSS (to show off) HELFIE (self-taken photo to show off your hair) BELFIE (self-taken photo to show off your bum) WELFIE (self-taken photo to show off your body) SELFEYE (self-taken photo to show off your eye makeup) SHELFIE (a photo to show off your bookshelf) SLABBER (a show off (Irish Slang))
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.