What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does HDTH Mean?HDTH (How Did That Happen?) is used to request an explanation of how an event occurred. (In other words, the meaning of the expanded abbreviation can be taken literally.) Of note though, HDTH is also used to request an explanation of why an event occurred. (NB: WDTH is not used for this, most probably because it is an accepted abbreviation for "width.")
HDTH is sometimes expanded to "However Did That Happen?". This version is more emphatic than "How Did That Happen?".
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what HDTH means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Image for HDTHWhen I write HDTH, I mean this: "How did that happen?"
Summary of Key Points"How Did That Happen?" is the most common definition for HDTH on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||How Did That Happen?|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of HDTH in SentencesHere are examples of HDTH being used in conversations:
- Charlie: My car got a puncture so I was late for the interview.
- Jordan: HDTH
- Charlie: I hit a pothole at 40 mph. (Here, HDTH is asking "how.")
- Charlie: Jane didn't talk to Mark all night.
- Jordan: HDTH
- Charlie: Mark's possessive ex-girlfriend was lingering. (Here, HDTH is asking "why.")
An Academic Look at HDTHHDTH is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Aitch Dee Tee Aitch), but as this is harder to say than "How did that happen," it is not often said using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation HDTH is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
HDTH plays the role of an interrogative sentence (i.e., a question), but it is commonly seen without a question mark. In other words, it can be written " HDTH?" or "HDTH".
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "What caused that?" instead of HDTH.
Example of HDTH Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?