What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does IHYDM Mean?IHYDM means "I Hope You Don't Mind." The abbreviation IHYDM is used to ask permission to do something. It is typically used when the sender assumes that they will be granted such permission and is merely being polite. In this context, IHYDM is often used retrospectively, i.e., either after the event or after the arrangements have been made. For example:
- IHYDM, but I borrowed used your name to get into the club last night. (Here, IHYDM is being used to ask permission after the event.)
- IHYDM, but I have decided to take a sabbatical next year. (Here, IHYDM is being used to ask permission before the event, but after the decision has been made.)
- IHYDM me saying, but that dress looks awful on you.
- IHYDM me mentioning it, but I saw Dave in the bar last night and he was really drunk. Is everything OK?
Image for IHYDMWhen I write IHYDM, I mean this: "I Hope You Don't Mind," often means "I Don't Care If You Mind."
Summary of Key Points"I Hope You Don't Mind" is the most common definition for IHYDM on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||I Hope You Don't Mind|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of IHYDM in SentencesHere are examples of IHYDM being used in conversations:
- Tina: Someone's moved the Christmas tree.
- Tim: It was me. IHYDM. I just thought it looked better over there.
- Gillian: This is the cake I've made for the competition.
- Andrew: IHYDM me saying, but I don't think it's your best one.
An Academic Look at IHYDMIHYDM is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eye Aitch Why Dee Em), but as this is harder to say than "I Hope You Don't Mind," it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation IHYDM is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
IHYDM is often used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement). It is not normally used as another part of speech within a wider sentence.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "Do You Mind" or "May I," or even just "I Hope You Don't Mind" instead of using IHYDM.
Example of IHYDM Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?