What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does IHY Mean?IHY means "I Hate You."
The abbreviation IHY is typically used with the meaning "I Hate You" to express feelings of intense dislike. However, IHY can also be used ironically. In such cases it is often used in response to someone’s good fortune, expressing good-natured jealousy rather than actual dislike. For example:
- Col: Yes, I did sleep with your brother; and your sister.
- Mel: IHY! I never want to see you again! (Here, IHY expresses genuine and intense dislike.)
- Dave: I'm meeting Jen for a drink tonight.
- Tony: IHY! She's gorgeous. I love her and I've never even spoken to her. (Here, IHY expresses good-natured jealousy.)
Summary of Key Points"I Hate You (see also IHU)" is the most common definition for IHY on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||I Hate You (see also IHU)|
Adults and Teenagers
Image for IHYWhen I write IHY, I mean this:
When this couple say I Hate You, they seem to mean it!
Examples of IHY in SentencesHere are examples of IHY being used in conversations:
- Jane: I need to dump you today as I've met someone else.
- Peter: IHY. I'll never forgive you.
- Paulo: Two wrongs don't make a right. Take your parents as an example.
- Maria: You're not funny, you're stupid. IHY.
An Academic Look at IHYIHY is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eye Aitch Why). However, it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation IHY is used for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
IHY is typically used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement). It is not normally used as another part of speech within a wider sentence.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "You're So Lucky" or even "I Hate You" instead of using IHY.
Example of IHY Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?