What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does IME Mean?IME means "In My Experience."
The abbreviation IME is used with the meaning "In My Experience" to preface a comment or advice. It indicates that what is being said is based on relevant experience of the issue being discussed.
IME should not be confused with IMO (In My Opinion), which usually indicates that the comment or advice is not based on specific experience.
Of note, the abbreviation IME is also used in the medical field with the meaning "Independent Medical Examination." In this context, an IME is carried out by a doctor, physical therapist or other health professional who has not previously been involved with a patient, usually in order to offer an independent opinion.
Image for IMEWhen I write IME, I mean this: IME, people with red hair should take care in the sun.
Summary of Key Points"In My Experience" is the most common definition for IME on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||In My Experience|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of IME in SentencesHere are examples of IME being used in conversations:
- Sue: Do you like his new car?
- Jane: Very nice, but IME men who drive that type of car are trying to compensate for something.
- Janice: I'll get to the bus stop 5 minutes early.
- Jordan: IME you will need to get there a bit earlier. You never know when the bus is going to turn up and the driver won't stop if you don't flag him down.
An Academic Look at IMEAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Eye Em Ee"), IME is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
IME is an abbreviation of the prepositional phrase "In My Experience," (the preposition is "in"), which is used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause. Compare the examples below:
- In London, four lions guard Nelson's Column. (Here, the prepositional phrase "In London" is an adverb of place.)
- IME, he can be moody. (Here, the prepositional phrase IME is an adverb of concession, which is similar in meaning to although this is just my view.)
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "In My Experience" instead of using the abbreviation IME.
Example of IME Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?