What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does IMO Mean?IMO means "In My Opinion." The term IMO, with the meaning "In My Opinion," is typically used to preface a comment in order to make the speaker appear less forthright and authoritative. IMO means "I'm not stating this as a fact, but it is what I believe."
IMO is often used by people with passive aggressive personalities (i.e., people who mask their controlling or confrontational nature using non-emotive language).
Image for IMOWhen I write IMO, I mean this: IMO is often used when the speaker is sure that they are right.
Summary of Key Points"In My Opinion" is the most common definition for IMO on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||In My Opinion|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of IMO in SentencesHere are examples of the abbreviation IMO being used in sentences:
- IMO, For every action, there is a corresponding over-reaction.
- IMO, regular naps prevent old age, especially if you take them while driving.
An Academic Look at IMOIMO is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Eye Emm Oh), but as this is harder to say than "In My Opinion," it is not usually uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation IMO is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
The abbreviation IMO is a prepositional phrase (the preposition is in) used as an adverb to establish the setting for the main clause. Compare the examples below:
- In Madrid, there is so much to see and do. (Here, the prepositional phrase In Madrid is an adverb of place.)
- IMO, he is the greatest player in the world. (Here, the prepositional phrase IMO is an adverb of concession, which is similar in meaning to "although this is just my view.")
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have said something like "In My Opinion" or "As Far As I'm Concerned" instead of using the abbreviation IMO.
Example of IMO Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?