What Does KWAM Mean?KWAM means "Know What I Mean?".
The abbreviation KWAM is used with the meaning "Know What I Mean?" to seek confirmation that a point has been understood.
KWAM means exactly the same as the abbreviation KWIM. The letter "A" replaces the letter "I" as in some accents (particularly in parts of the UK) "Know What I Mean?" is actually pronounced as "Know What A Mean?"
Image for KWAM
When I write KWAM, I mean this:
KWAM is used to confirm that a point has been understood.
Summary of Key Points"Know What I Mean?" is the most common definition for KWAM on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Know What I Mean?|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of KWAM in SentencesHere are examples of KWAM being used in conversations:
- Ollie: Minecraft is rubbish. KWAM?
- Clive: I know what you mean, but I don't agree with you.
- Carrie: Why were you late this morning?
- Gill: The bus didn't turn up, so I had to wait another hour. KWAM?
- Carrie: Yes, I do. You mean you had too much to drink last night and couldn't get out of bed this morning!
An Academic Look at KWAMAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Kay Dublyoo Ay Em"), KWAM is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
KWAM plays the role of an interrogative sentence (i.e., a question) but, in text-based messaging, it is commonly seen without a question mark. It can be written "KWAM?" or "KWAM".
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "Do you get what I mean?" instead of using KWAM.
Example of KWAM Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoIYKWIM (If You Know What I Mean) IYSWIM (If You See What I Mean) NAHMEAN (You Know What I Mean?) NAWM (Know What I Mean?)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.