What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does L8 Mean?L8 means "Late." This term uses the sound of the number 8 to replace the last three letters of the word, i.e., it uses the sound "ate." L8 is a quick way to let someone know you are not running on time.
L8 can also be used to describe something that happened near to the end a period of time, e.g., "they won the game with a late goal," letting the reader know that the goal was scored close to the end of the game.
Image for L8When I write L8, I mean this: L8 means late.
Summary of Key Points"Late" is the most common definition for L8 on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
1: Easy to guess
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Examples of L8 in SentencesHere are examples of L8 being used in conversations:
- Tony: I got held up at work, will be 5 minutes L8.
- Jordan: Donít worry, Iím stuck in traffic so wonít be there on time either.
- Tony: Why are you always L8?
- Jordan: Sorry, I couldn't find my car keys this time!
An Academic Look at L8L8 is defined as a cyber term because some of its characters are used as substitutes for letters. Many cyber terms were introduced to reduce the number of key strokes required to write words, but since the arrival of predictive texting and keyboards on mobile devices this efficiency is less important.
However, cyber terms are still regularly used to make messages more entertaining or to express individuality. Cyber terms differ from icons because they are not pictorial representations.
L8 is typically used as an adjective (i.e., a describing word). For example:
- She was L8 to the class. (Here, the adjective L8 modifies the noun class .)
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would have just said "late" instead of L8.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of L8 Used in a Text
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what L8 means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?