What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does OBTW Mean?OBTW means "Oh, By The Way." The abbreviation OBTW is used to signal a change of subject in a conversation.
The phrase "Oh, By The Way" is typically used to introduce a new and often less important topic into a conversation. In this respect, it means almost exactly the same as the abbreviation BTW (By The Way), but the inclusion of the word "Oh" probably indicates that the sender has just thought of something they want to mention. However, OBTW is also often used as a preamble to important news, usually when that news was the real reason for getting in touch. For example:
- OBTW, I heard that they are going to reopen the cinema next month. Have you heard anything? (Here, OBTW probably indicates that the sender has just remembered the news about the cinema.)
- OBTW, I saw Sue with Chris last night. Have you two split up? (Here, OBTW probably indicates that the sighting of Sue and Chris was the genuine reason for getting in touch.)
Image for OBTWWhen I write OBTW, I mean this: OBTW indicates a change of subject.
Summary of Key Points"Oh, By The Way" is the most common definition for OBTW on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Oh, By The Way|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of OBTW in SentencesHere are examples of OBTW being used in conversations:
- Cherie: Did you get to the hairdresser today?
- Mel: Yes. OBTW, did you know they're moving next month?
- Carol: How's your head?
- Sian: Terrible! What a party! li>
- Carol: You're right about that. OBTW, the boss said I should thank you for the offer, but he's married and, anyway, you're not his type.
An Academic Look at OBTWOBTW is an initialism abbreviation. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Oh Bee Tee Dublyoo). However, it is not usually spoken using its letters. The abbreviation OBTW is actually for efficiency in writing, rather than efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said "Oh, By The Way," or something like "While we're on the subject," instead of using the abbreviation OBTW.
Example of OBTW Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?