What Does OT Mean?OT means "Off Topic" and "Overtime." Here is more information about each of these definitions with examples.
Off TopicOn social media and chat forums, OT often means "off topic." For example:
- Please keep your comments on-topic. Any OT discussion will be deleted.
- We should start a new thread for this topic since it's going OT from the original post.
OvertimeOT also means "overtime." In this context, it is used to refer to extra time played at the end of a sports match, or time worked outside normal working hours. For example:
- The referee made a controversial call in OT that changed the outcome of the game.
- I get paid time-and-a-half for any OT that I work.
Image for OT
When I write OT, I mean this:
Summary of Key Points for the First Definition"Off Topic" is a common definition for OT on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Adults and Teenagers
Summary of Key Points for the Second Definition"Overtime" is another common definition for OT.
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at OTOT is an initialism abbreviation. It is the type of abbreviation that consists of the first letter of each word in a phrase or name and that is pronounced by saying each letter separately, rather than pronouncing the abbreviation as a word, i.e., "O-T." Other examples of initialism abbreviations include "FBI" (Federal Bureau of Investigation) and "CEO" (Chief Executive Officer).
Initialisms differ from acronyms, which are abbreviations that are pronounced as words, rather than by saying each letter separately. For example, NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) is pronounced as "NA-sa" and UNICEF (United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund) is pronounced as "Yoo-ni-sef".
Example of OT Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.